Since roads became an essential part of American infrastructure, there have been many changes to the way traffic is controlled, especially as technology has advanced and become integrated into our road systems. As these technologies have emerged, so have laws meant to enforce their use. Breaking these laws can lead to penalties that are easily avoided by following the law and obeying traffic control devices.
What are Traffic Control Devices?
In Vehicle and Traffic Law 153 in New York, traffic control devices are defined as “signs, signals, markings, and devices placed for the purpose of regulating, warning, or guiding traffic.” Essentially, anything placed on or alongside the road meant to provide you with information about the road, such as speed limits, can be considered a traffic control device. Here are some examples of the most common traffic control devices:
- Regulatory signs such as stop signs, yield signs, speed limit signs, no u turn signs, no parking signs, and more
- Warning signs that inform drivers of potential hazards like animal crossings, fallen rocks, low shoulders, etc.
- Informational signs that inform drivers about the route and local amenities, such as exit signs, distance signs, mile markers, etc.
- Traffic signals such as the standard three-color traffic light that indicate to drivers when it is safe for them to proceed and when they need to stop
- Road markings such as lines and arrows mark the legal usage of various road surfaces, including turn arrows, lane markers, double yellow lines, etc.
- Barriers and channelizers exist to prevent drivers from entering certain areas or to direct drivers to new areas during construction, such as cones, curbs, Jersey barriers on highways, etc.
There are many types of traffic control devices, but they all share one thing in common: they must be obeyed by drivers. This is not only true on the road, but in parking lots as well. Our Nassau traffic attorney will fight for the best possible outcome.
From the first time I spoke with him he walked me through the whole process from A to Z. He was able to get all 3 of my tickets dismissed with NO points and NO fines.Evan C.
- Spanish Speaking Services Available
- Over 30 Years of Experience
- Focused on Traffic Defense
- Over 20,000 Cases Reduced or Dismissed